A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do the children get asked who they want to live with?

Do the children get asked who they want to live with?

The wishes of the children can be taken into account depending on the maturity and level of understanding of the children and the reasons for the children’s wishes. In certain circumstances, the Family Court can order the appointment of an independent lawyer to represent the children and help the court determine what is best for them.

The court will not hear from the children directly, instead it will get information from other witnesses about what a child may want. To help it decide what should be done, the court can ask the Family Court Counselling Service to prepare a Family Report.

Sometimes, the court will order that a child have separate legal representation. A child representative is a lawyer who works out what is in the child’s best interests and explains it to the court. While there are no rules about which parent will get a residence or contact order, the court does not like to disturb long standing living arrangements without good reason, and it is usually reluctant to take a very young child from its mother. Also, the court does not like to separate children in a family unless there are good reasons for doing so.

User reviews

There are no user reviews for this listing.
To write a review please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.