1. Complete the Application form.
2. Swear or affirm the Application before a Justice of the Peace, Lawyer or other authorised person.
3. Make two photocopies of the Application.
4. File the following documents in the Federal Magistrates Court:
- The original and two copies of the Application form;
- The fee or an Application to waive the filing fee;
- Marriage Certificate or certified copy of same.
5. The registry stamps your application and gives you two copies of the Application and the information brochure ˜Marriage Families & Separation. The registry, will give you a file number and a time and date for a hearing.
6. If you filed a joint application, you both keep one copy of the application and the brochure.If you applied on your own, you must 'serve' a sealed copy of the Application and the information brochure on your spouse at least 28 days before the hearing.
7. You must come to the court for your hearing at the time and date entered on your Application if you have children under 18 and you are the Applicant. If you do not have children under 18, you may not have to attend.
8. At the hearing, if the court grants the divorce, it will issue a divorce order. After one month, this order will take legal effect and a divorce certificate will be issued to the parties.