A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

How is superannuation considered in divorce?

How is superannuation considered in divorce?

The court views superannuation as a financial resource rather than as actual property because people who are members of a superannuation fund are not generally entitled to any benefits until they retire. A person who has looked after children has usually made an indirect contribution to the build-up of the superannuation entitlement during the marriage, but the court has limited power to order direct payments to the non-member partner.

Instead, as the policy holder will be getting money in the future, the court may order that the other person receive a greater share of the present property, in recognition of indirect contributions to the superannuation.

New legislation regarding the division of superannuation will commence in late 2002. The legislation provides a method for calculating the value of an entitlement and the proportions to be allocated between the parties. This may involve the splitting of a superannuation interest between a member of a superannuation scheme and their non-member spouse.

Due to the uncertainty of the new legislation, it is advisable to seek specific legal advice about your particular circumstances.

User reviews

There are no user reviews for this listing.
To write a review please register or