A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Bit of advice please

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 May 12 #334144 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
I agree with Fiona in that sometimes there is a valid reason and forcing contact is counter-productive.

However if there have been no real issues in the past (eg violence) and the younger child is happy to go. I think without realising it you are blocking contact by allowing the child to have a ''''choice''''.

Time for a bit of tough love I am afraid. You have to be firm and say sorry but your going.

  • Emma8485
  • Emma8485's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 May 12 #334148 by Emma8485
Reply from Emma8485
I agree on this - 7 is too young to make that choice. My youngest is six and has said a couple fo times she doesnt want to go to dads, mainly cos she wants to make cakes with me, or dad told her off last time and she hasnt forgotten it!

She gets put in the car and after ten mins I usually get a text off my ex saying she is fine.

You wouldnt allow a 7 yr old to not go to school or the doctors or dentist - not that I am saying going to their dads is like the dentist btw, just making the comparison!

At 7 I feel he is too young to be honest to make up his own mind.

take care

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.