A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Challenging a Prohibitive Steps Order & residency

  • halsdad
  • halsdad's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 Aug 12 #349774 by halsdad
Topic started by halsdad
Has anyone got any previous experience of challenging a PSO and application for residence through the courts without using a solicitor?

We have been quoted up to £15,000 to contest the process from stages 1-3 and simply cannot afford it....so we are now considering doing our own legal work.

Please can anyone point us to any sources of assistance that would benefit us in our efforts to best present our case.

Thank you

  • khan72
  • khan72's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Aug 12 #350031 by khan72
Reply from khan72
Taken from my Money Saving Tip post

You do not need a solicitor. I simply bought the following books.

(a) "Family Courts Without a Lawyer : A Handbook for Litigants in Person", Lucy Reed
(b) "Children Act Private Law Proceedings : A Handbook" (3rd Edition), His Honour Judge John Mitchell
(c) "A Practical Guide to Family Law Proceedings" (5th Edition), District Judge robert Blomfield
(d) "Child Law : Essential Court Materials", His Honour Judge John Mitchell

If you can''t afford them, just simply borrow them from the library. I got all the book from either Ebay or Amazon (amazon is cheaper as u can get second hand). (a) is a really good intro but not enough depth. (b) is amazing and very detailed. (c) mostly covered by items in (b). (d) good for taking to court for easy reference.

I also bought the Red Book... too expensive but comprehensive.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11