A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Selling house,is mother entitled to proceeds?

  • Tintintin
  • Tintintin's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Jun 12 #337241 by Tintintin
Topic started by Tintintin
I pay maintenance through CSA to my ex. We never married or co-habited.
I''m thinking of selling up and buying something smaller to use surplus for court case seeking contact with my child.
Will ex be entitled via CSA to any surplus cash from sale or a percentage of it?

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
17 Jun 12 #337249 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Not unless you leave £65k plus in a bank account and she asks for a variation. Not entitled to any lump sum though.

No need to spend loads on court for contact. Represent yourself. Join Families Need Fathers

  • Tintintin
  • Tintintin's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Jun 12 #337457 by Tintintin
Reply from Tintintin
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, but it looks like she could claim against any lump sum as confirmed by a family lawyer:

The CSA will look at any assets (apart from your home) worth more than £65,000 and say that it gives an income of 8% per annum and complete an assessment on that notional income.
In addition there is a risk that if you have spare assets then your ex can make a claim under Schedule 1 of the Children Act for the use of a lump sum to help her house the child until the child is 18 (at which point the property would revert to you.

Needless to say I''m going to do some maths!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11