A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

CSA and lump sums

  • hattiedaw
  • hattiedaw's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
18 Jun 12 #337326 by hattiedaw
Topic started by hattiedaw
Can I ask a question?
What is it about the CSA and lump sums?
I know somebody who''s ex owes a few thousand pounds.
The ex has come into a lot of money via an inheritance but the CSA said that as it''s a lump sum it cant be classed as income therefore they cannot do an assessment on it.
We understand that bit but surely if they''ve come into a lot of money they should be made to pay off arrears.
My friend lives on the breadline and £2000 would ease up her life a great deal whereas £2000 taken from the inheritance her ex has had makes it look like loose change!
These arrears have been in place for 4 years, the CSA will not chase them as he is currently only paying £5 a week.
The fella is asset rich and the CSA were asked "why cant he be made to sell a car / another expensive but not neccassary asset but the CSA dont want to know.
It just seems so unfair.

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jun 12 #337329 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos

Is the inheritance more than £65k? your friend could apply for a variation if it is?, although if its been used to pay off a mortgage in the home that her ex lives in this would not then be possible.

It may be worth putting in an online complaint to the CSA in relation to the arrears and inheritance and see what their response is.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jun 12 #337334 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
maisymoos is spot on. The CSA does a basic assessment based on income and the parent with care needs to apply for a variation if they believe the non resident parents has assets other than their home valued over £65k. There is then a calculation based on the potential income from the asset.

  • hattiedaw
  • hattiedaw's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Jun 12 #337528 by hattiedaw
Reply from hattiedaw
We dont know how much the inheritance is.
The information came about when ex was confronted about living like a king yet claiming benefits and paying just £5 a week maintenance.
Can we find out or is this just another loophole?
Thanks in advance.

  • Child Maintenance Options
  • Child Maintenance Options's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 Jul 12 #340521 by Child Maintenance Options
Reply from Child Maintenance Options

Thanks for the post. If your friends’ ex-partner has assets of more than £65,000 she could apply for a "variation" to the maintenance calculation to have those assets taken into account. The more information she is able to provide about those assets, the more likely the variation is to be accepted.

You also mention that there are arrears outstanding on your friends’ case. If this is correct, I suggest she advises the CSA that her ex-partner has recently inherited a significant sum of money.

The CSA has numerous enforcement powers at its disposal which it may be able to use to collect some of that money from your friends’ ex-partner to force him to pay off the outstanding arrears.

I suggest she contacts the CSA and requests they use the powers available to them to collect what is owed. Again, the more information she is able to provide, the more likely it is that the enforcement action will be successful

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.