A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

CSA - Back Payment

  • del_piero_3
  • del_piero_3's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
31 Jul 12 #346498 by del_piero_3
Topic started by del_piero_3
Hi everyone,

Last year I was made redundant, I informed CSA of this but they still continued to take money for further few months despite numerous calls. With pot luck I got through to someone in CSA who advised me to cancel direct debit and they would make a note of this on my file. I never got this money back either.

Few months later I got a job, I informed CSA of my salary/wages. I called them few times and requested re-assessment and to start taking the appropriate amount. Nothing came of it so I called them final time with regards to this and advised them I would not bothered to call again as its becoming a tedious joke.

10 months have gone by and I recently received a letter, stating that they have been informed (by x) that my circumstances have changed and that I need to provide latest pay slip and employer details.

Now I don’t have a problem with the above and start the new payment straight away, but am I suppose to be paying for the 10 months? I did my bit. I assumed that the x might have stopped the claim etc hence no contact from CSA despite so many calls.

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
31 Jul 12 #346518 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
No the change will be from when they contacted you.

They should have taken it from when you informed them of the change of circumstances but if you didn''t put it in writing then they will probably deny all knowledge of it.

Yoe were not legally obliged to inform them of your new job until asked so although you did your bit you didn''t have to.

  • Deedum
  • Deedum's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Jul 12 #346528 by Deedum
Reply from Deedum
The CSA are a muddled organisation, but I think you will have to pay for the last 10 months but they should arrange with you how to spread out the payments.

My ex was made redundant last year and got a new job in October and even thought the CSA had all the information last October it has taken until June of this year to sort out new monthly payments which then had to include the arrears.

  • Child Maintenance Options
  • Child Maintenance Options's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
07 Aug 12 #347914 by Child Maintenance Options
Reply from Child Maintenance Options
The effective date would generally be linked to the date when you told the CSA. For example, as you informed the CSA 10 months ago, the change should be backdated even though they failed to take action. It may help if you had proof of your original conversation.

As we can''t comment on individual cases, I suggest you contact the CSA again (number on the letter you received) to determine what action is being taken.

  • stepper
  • stepper's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 12 #347926 by stepper
Reply from stepper
I am told that the CSA keep a record of all telephone conversations for two years.

Any telephone call should be recorded on your file. You can obtain your file, if you need to, by applying to The Child Support Agency Data Protection Unit, Room BP6002, DWP Benton Park View, Longbenton, Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1YX. It costs £10. They like a postal order apparently.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11