A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

University Maintenance

  • tillie1234
  • tillie1234's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Sep 12 #356788 by tillie1234
Topic started by tillie1234
My ex-husband paid maintenance (by order) for our daughter until she finished full time education at school. He verbally agreed with her, to pay her accommodation/living costs whilst she is at University. Less than two weeks after she has started University, ''conditions'' are now being attached to this arrangement. I was concerned this would happen as it is in his controlling nature to do so (I divorced him because this) Can my daughter put this financial arrangement on a ''legal footing'' i.e. apply to the courts for him to maintain her whilst she is at University?
Many thanks for any help with this.

  • Child Maintenance Options
  • Child Maintenance Options's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
21 Sep 12 #357158 by Child Maintenance Options
Reply from Child Maintenance Options
Hi thanks for your post on child maintenance. In summary, child maintenance is paid by the non-resident parent to the parent with care and if using the CSA, is payable until the child turns 16 or until they reach 19 if in full-time education (not higher than A-level equivalent).

If your daughter needs some more information about where she stands legally, it might be worth contacting Community Legal Advice. Their helpline number is 0845 345 4345. There''s also the Citizens Advice Bureau on 08444 111 444.

For more information about child maintenance and to access our useful tools and forms online you can visit www.cmoptions.org, or if you''d prefer a confidential chat you could call the child maintenance Options team on 0800 988 0988 (free from a landline).

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11