A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Child maintenance. Parents not living in the UK.

  • steverob68
  • steverob68's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
28 Sep 12 #358377 by steverob68
Topic started by steverob68

I have been divorced from my ex wife almost a year now and I have a Consent Order that specifies the amount of child maintenance to be paid monthly. I agreed to pay three hundred pounds more a month as she got the family home and she could not afford the mortgage payments. Right now she moved in with a new partner in another EU country and the afore mentioned family home is uninhabited. I also moved to another non-EU country myself, due to business. The Court Order will be a year old in December and my solicitor advised me that I could vary it then. Right now I am facing a legal problem as neither of us are living in the UK anymore, therefore I cannot turn to CSA for the variation but I definitely do not want to continue paying more than I have to for a house that my children do not inhabit anymore. I prefer to put this money into a trust fund for their future education.

My question is: where do I go from here?
Who is responsible (which country and which court) for varying the original Cort Order after it is one year old?

My solicitor does not seem to know the practicalities either so a kind colleague introduced me to your site.

  • Child Maintenance Options
  • Child Maintenance Options's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 Oct 12 #358962 by Child Maintenance Options
Reply from Child Maintenance Options

Thanks for your post. This sounds like a pretty complicated situation, and unfortunately we can''t look into this. If you need some more information about where you stand legally regarding, it might be worth contacting Community Legal Advice. Their helpline number is 0845 345 4345.

For information and support on family-based arrangements'', call the Options team on 0800 988 098.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.