A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

No Child Maintenance

  • markz
  • markz's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Oct 12 #359295 by markz
Topic started by markz
Hi all,
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
My femail friend has a son 12yrs old, she is single. She is separated from the boys father, 7 years ago. The boys father is named on the birth certificate. She lives in council accomodation with her only son. Works part-time about 15 hours a week. The problem is her ex-partner will NOT give her any maintenance for her son!!! He runs his own business and refuses to pay out any monies, quoting he can not afford too!!!!The so called father visits his son once a month. all parties live in England. She is now struggling to afford to keep the quality of life her son would expect, so surely the father should be forced to pay some thing? where do i tell her to seek advice???

Any help appreciated....

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Oct 12 #359325 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
If the NRP is refusing to pay any maintenance for the child your friends only option is to make a CSA application.

Whether this will achieve a better result though is questionable. The problem really rests with her ex being self employed and as many other wikis well know the CSA seem unable to deal with many self employed cases and make assessments when income appears near to zero.:(

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
04 Oct 12 #359327 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Hopefully they will be better at it with the new CS3 as dividends are no longer exempt along with a lot of the other things that should never have been exempt in the first place.

Only problem is if he does a lot of cash in hand work which evades the tax man.

  • Child Maintenance Options
  • Child Maintenance Options's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
04 Oct 12 #359339 by Child Maintenance Options
Reply from Child Maintenance Options
Thank you for your question. All parents have a legal responsibility to financially support their children. Even if they have a low income or they''re on benefits/claiming tax credits they still have to pay a percentage of their income.

As I''m sure your friend already knows, it''s much easier to sort out child maintenance without the CSA or the courts involved and it usually keeps things more amicable in general.

If that''s not possible, then the CSA will work out her child maintenance payments using a set formula, which will be based on the boy''s father''s income. Some other factors are taken into account, such as the number of children that need child maintenance, if he has overnight care of those children and if he currently lives with any other children.

For more information about how the CSA work out child maintenance, visit www.direct.gov.uk/childmaintenance

For more information about the options and access to useful tools and forms online visit www.cmoptions.org, or if you''d prefer a confidential chat you could call the Child Maintenance Options team on 0800 988 0988 (free from a landline).

  • markz
  • markz's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Oct 12 #359439 by markz
Reply from markz
Hi All,

Truly amazed at the help you have giving my friend!!!

I have printed off the replys and will give them to her this week-end. Thank you very much and have a great week-end....

Best Regards

  • perin123
  • perin123's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Oct 12 #359505 by perin123
Reply from perin123
I wish your friend all the luck in the world.

I am in same position, no maintenance for son whose father is self employed, but they get away with it...Unbelievable....:angry:

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.