A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

maintaining his daughter

  • doodles
  • doodles's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
29 Jan 08 #12238 by doodles
Topic started by doodles
i left my ex2b some months ago now after 20 yrs of domestic violence. i have been sole carer of my youngest daughter who has visited her father around 7 times in 9 months. he hasnt paid a penny or given me a penny since last july. he lives in the matrimonial home with his current gfriend. he earns 75k a year. wot sort of maintainance can i expect and will i get any backpay. i earn 21k a year.

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Jan 08 #12241 by mike62
Reply from mike62
you should be entitled to 15% of his nett income as child maintenance for your daughter, assuming she is under 18 years, or 19 if in full time education.

Have you started divorce proceedings yet? If not, do so. That way you are in control of the divorce process. If so you should apply for ancillary relief. This is the process of separating the matrimonial assets.

You may well be entitled to claim spousal maintenance from him too.

Given the disparity of your incomes, and the fact that he is in the marital home, he will need to contribute to your housing needs through spousal maintenance, even if only through a transitionary period.

If you haven't already seen a solicitor, see if you can find one that does a free initial consultation and get some advice.

Best of luck

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Jan 08 #12247 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
The courts can't impose child support so unless he agrees to pay child maintenance you will need to apply to the CSA. Arrears will only be due from the time the CSA first contact the non-resident parent.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.