A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Residency 50/50 shared kids but this guy pays CSA

  • mick_dan
  • mick_dan's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
27 Aug 07 #2473 by mick_dan
Topic started by mick_dan
Just wondering what the angle is here and if anyone heard of something so unfair...

Someone I know got divorced 5 years ago and had 2 kids, the kids lived with the mother in Scotland and the Father lived in Manchester when the split happened as the mother went off with "the best friend".

Anyhow the Mother earns around £25K, the Father earns the same, but he pays her £300 a month maintainance via CSA...

Ok fair enough... now heres the crazy part... the Son met a girl when down with the dad in Manchester and as the son is over 13 he has now moved down with the father.

CSA have now lowered payments to 15% now instead of 20%...

HOW IS THIS FAIR when both parents earn the same, and each has a child?

And they say it is not in favor of the woman but the kids????

  • jay160602
  • jay160602's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
27 Aug 07 #2478 by jay160602
Reply from jay160602
perhaps the child living with his ex wife is female.

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Aug 07 #2481 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
Maybe the father hasn't applied to the CSA for maintenance for the son, to be paid by his ex. I wouldn't be surprised if the rules were such that you had to do that to make things equal.


  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Aug 07 #2488 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona

  • Monitor441
  • Monitor441's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Aug 07 #2513 by Monitor441
Reply from Monitor441
He can apply to the Child Benefit Agency for the CB for the child that lives with him. They freeze the ex wife's CB whilst they do the assessment. They will see the ex is not entitled to CB and give it to him. He can then apply to the CSA for 15% of her net income. The ex may also have to pay back the CB she has received since the child lived with him.

Good luck


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11