A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

NRP Returning To UK, Lives Abroad

  • Worried69
  • Worried69's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Jun 12 #337804 by Worried69
Topic started by Worried69
I relocated to the USA many years ago. Through the CSA I had child support deducted from my pay in the USA. I relocated to a different state at one point after having to change jobs, and the CSA stopped deducting money from me, (presumably because I was in a different state and in the USA this means the jurisdiction changed). After some time my ex-wife in Scotland informed me that the CSA had closed the case. This was a couple of years ago.

I need to return to the UK very soon because I have a very ill family member, but am worried that because there are arrears I may get stopped at the airport on entry or exit to/from the UK. I would be home (in the UK) for a very short period of time, and it is extremely important that I see this family member.

Question is plain and simple.........could there be an arrest warrant for me for the child support arrears?

  • ScotBob
  • ScotBob's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
20 Jun 12 #337810 by ScotBob
Reply from ScotBob
I would doubt it as I understand there are agreements in place between US & UK so that, if a warrant had been issued at some point, the US would have shipped you back.

However, can I ask why you didn''t make contact with the CSA when you''d moved and realised no funds were being taken off in order to re-establish your payments, as this would have alleviated your current anguish over arrears and possible arrest?

  • Worried69
  • Worried69's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Jun 12 #337819 by Worried69
Reply from Worried69
The original assessment which was done prior to my leaving the UK was extortionate, (based on 5 pay stubs including all overtime which on a flat week in the UK meant I couldn''t even cover the payment as I didn''t make enough after taxes), and my salary was significantly less in the USA. Over here they were taking 55% of my income and I struggled to survive. I didn''t know I could have contacted the CSA. I had thought they just enforced taking your money, and with all the horror stories from back home about fathers committing suicide, etc., I left it alone. Basically the fear of having all my income taken coupled with being in a foreign country where I thought I could do nothing about it was what stopped me doing anything.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.