A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Daughter being removed

  • DIY Divorce
  • DIY Divorce's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 May 07 #339 by DIY Divorce
Topic started by DIY Divorce
Hi, can anyone assist please? My ex has all our asetts and our child. I have been financially broken. I do not fall under the remit for legal aid, and cannot afford a solicitor.

My Ex is planning on moving into central london, thereby removing our daughter from all she knows. Also, it will have a huge impact on the time i will be able to spend with her. Is she allowed to do this, is there anyway i am able to stop her or slow the procedure down at least?

Can a court order stop her from removing our daughter? If so, how long does it take? My Ex plans to move in July.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.........

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 May 07 #354 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11

Sorry i cant be much help as ive not been in this situation before but isnt there something called "fathers for justice" or "justice for fathers"? I think they have a website explaining all the things that you can do to protect your rights as a father. (but i dont advise you to dress as batman and scale some massive bridge or break into buckingham palace!!) there is also a website called fathersmatter.com, it seems they have written a book that helps fathers like you. It takes you through a step by step guide of the legal system where fathers are concerned.
Hope this helps you somewhat.

Kind regards and good luck for the future.

  • tigstheterror
  • tigstheterror's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 07 #741 by tigstheterror
Reply from tigstheterror
Hiya,,not sure why you won't qualify for lagal aid in this instance,try going to your local CAB, you can book an appointment so that you can be seen quicker.It may mean you go into court and represent yourself but you need advice on how to go about this and help in taking the matter to court. You can also apply for a shared residency order for your daughter which gives you more rights than without one,then you may be able to prevent the move and srgue that you are unwilling to be prevented from spending time with your daughter as you beleive this will be detrimental to your relationship together. Please please seek advice and get the process moving.
On the note of the action group it's www.fnf.org.uk they have an excellent support service and advisers are excellent,you will be able to get sorted through thses no doubt,you can access the site and also they have reps in most areas that you can ring,local to you, and will advise and assist you,hope all this helps,take care and good luck,Sherri.

  • Princess Fiona
  • Princess Fiona's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
13 Jun 07 #754 by Princess Fiona
Reply from Princess Fiona
You could represent yourself and apply to court for a Prohibitive Steps Order using a C1 Form downloadable from;-


Whether or not you will be successful will depend on the details of the case. The court will examine your ex's plans to assess how realistic arrangements are regarding accommodation, employment, education and contact. They will consider if she has connections with the area she is proposing to relocate to, or if the move is prompted to frustrate contact . Also the judge needs to be satisfied your opposition isn't to harass your ex.

It has to said if your ex is moving to be near family support, or because economically she and your child will be better off you it might be better minimising conflict by accepting the move will go ahead and trying to negotiate good contact arrangements and shared travel arrangements, using mediation if necessary.

Others have mentioned father's rights organisations and shared residency. It's true fnf offers some good support and advice, but in my experience rights talk often inflames the situation and gives people unrealistic expectations. Shared Residency Orders define the time children spend with each parent and are awarded in cases where a child perceives both homes are of equal status. There is a no order principle so a judge will only impose an order if the matter can't be resolved otherwise and the 'best interests' of the child are always paramount.

  • DIY Divorce
  • DIY Divorce's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jun 07 #795 by DIY Divorce
Reply from DIY Divorce

thanks, your advise is sound and logical (not that the others weren't)

Got my court date shortly...........cheers

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.