A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Private CM versus CSA

  • mumtotwo
  • mumtotwo's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Jul 12 #343967 by mumtotwo
Topic started by mumtotwo
I am in the process of filing for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour (stbx is contesting obviously :blink:). At present I am residing in the FMH and paying all the bills bar mortgage as it is solely in the stbx''s name.

He has managed this arrangement for over a year but from previous ''discussions'' I am concerned that he plans to only support our 2 kids to the minimum CSA rate which is approx £300/month (CM will only start once I am out of the fmh). Not only is this less than he is currently paying for the mortgage but it''s less than he pays out for his child from his 1st marriage.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I''ve been told by him that he is very limited in how he can support the kids as he''s having to rent etc but his 1st child isn''t suffering. I''m at the point where I cannot afford to return to work with 2 children in day care (I earn too much but not enough) yet stbx doesn''t seem to be liable to contribute to childcare. A little birdie tells me he''s being bought a house by his family so I''m sure he''ll fiddle the finances to suit for the divorce.

It''s a kick in the teeth knowing he paid half the childcare for his other child and is now planning to continue paying more for this child who is in a stable environment with the mother & step-father yet I could be out of a job and living in council accomodation.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jul 12 #343986 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
YOu can discuss and agree any figure for child maintenance you want between yourselves but under the current CSA rules your husband would be required to pay 25% of his income split between his three children.

First thing is to check out what state help you would be entitled to. If you work 16 hours a week you would be able to claim a Working Family Tax Credits and possibly something towards child care which can add up to a significant amount.

Then find out where you stand and what options there are for a divorce settlement. If your husband earns more than average and there is a big discrepancy in incomes spouse maintenance could be an issue.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.