A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

PWC dumps Child in Home

  • zootar
  • zootar's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Jul 12 #345086 by zootar
Reply from zootar
TBagpuss wrote:

Do bear in mind that during the periods mum is caring for son,it is very unlikely that the amounts you pay cover anything like the true costs of caring for a child s think of it as possibly paying a bit more than s needed right now, as being offset against paying a bit less than is needed most of the rest of the time.

Hi, thanks for the comment.
I appreciate where you coming from however I think you''re assuming this is a normal maternal lady caring for her disabled child - when in reality its not.

I don''t think there is enough character space in this forum box to completetly fill you in on this evil woman, the only reason why my son is with her is due to the legal system in the UK being biased towards ''mums''

When my son is at home, she is only responsible for him for 45 of the 168 hours a week - this is due to a massive support package she has demanded from the LA. She lives off his benefits, despite getting a fully paid for car - refuses to take him to school - the LA pay for a cab for him - just to give you an example.

She doesn''t pay for household utilities (she lives in her weathy grandfathers 5 bed detached home with her mom) - and he covers utilities.
She doesn''t pay for his medical supplies (funded by the tax man), she doesn''t pay for nappies (funded by the tax man) she doesn''t pay for his food (funded by the tax man)

What should be reasonable is not with this woman, which is why my question was more around "do I have to pay her" rather than "Should I"

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Jul 12 #345119 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Sorry I was a bit short this morning as I was rushing out but I see TBagpuss has replied more fully.

You don''t *have* to pay if there is no court order.If the mother applies to court the starting point are the CSA rules but the judge is directed by the court to consider the financial position of both parents and a judge has discretion which the CSA does not. Not only can the courts award child maintenance but they may order payments to cover expenses related to a child''s disability.

You *should* negotiate and compromise so that you have some control over the amount paid, don''t incur the costs of attending a court hearing or look unreasonable if no arrangement can be agreed and a court hearing can''t be avoided.

  • zonked
  • zonked's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Jul 12 #345169 by zonked
Reply from zonked
If the child has ''voluntarily'' been placed into local authority care (S20 childrens act) then the entitlement to child benefit/tax credits cease; and with it the liability to pay child maintenance.

The LA would have an allocated social worker and I think it would be reasonable to introduce yourself and say that you''d like to do what you can to support your child. Perhaps suggesting that the foster carer/residential manager is asked what things you could contribute to enhance your child''s life.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Jul 12 #345192 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Yes, Zonked, that is quite true under CSA rules. Reg 51 Child Support (Maintenance Assessment Procedure) Regulations 1992 states someone shall not be the parent care if a child who is "looked after by a local authority is placed by that authority under the provisions of the Children Act 1989."

In this case because the non-resident parent lives abroad the CSA do not have jurisdiction to make a decision, the courts do. There is no equivalent legislation/regulation binding the courts. Schedule 1, Children Act 1989 sets out the factors which the court is to give regard to when making financial provision for children.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.