A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Financial support

  • acfair
  • acfair's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
30 Jul 12 #346263 by acfair
Topic started by acfair
Please can anyone give me some advice.

My situation is that I wss not married to my ex but had 2 sons by him. In September 2011, the court judged that he was entitled to 30% of my house - £37,500 which I paid to his solicitor before Christmas 2011.

He is on benefits and was on legal aid so I had to pay all his court costs as I lost! They totalled £50,000!

£50,000 plus £37,500 plus my own legal costs!

However he has never paid any maintenance for the two boys and I am now struggling financially as a result of having to remortgage to pay all my debts!

Any advice on what I should do to get him to pay towards his children. I am back in court next week again for contact hearing although he is not allowed to see children - again he has legal aid to contest this but children dont want to see him as he is an alcoholic and they have seen him at his worst drunk!

Can I ask the Judge? Should I write to his solicitor? I self represent as I have no money for more legal fees.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
31 Jul 12 #346269 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Acfair, this is one for the csa and not the judge. However if he is on benefits, the most you would get is 5 pounds a week. Afaik lump sums are not counted unless they are over 65k.


  • acfair
  • acfair's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
31 Jul 12 #346270 by acfair
Reply from acfair
Thanks x

It''s not fair though and it''s only the children who suffer!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.