A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

No way can a supposed single mum cry poverty!

  • HideFromExWife
  • HideFromExWife's Avatar Posted by
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
15 Oct 12 #360995 by HideFromExWife
Topic started by HideFromExWife
I''ve just seen my ex wife discovery for matrimonial purposes.
For someone who crys poverty lets just add up her income and benefits shall we?

Two kids.

Over £1000 / month tax credits
Over £300 / month Housing grant.
£135 / month Child Benefit
Over £700 / month working a 3 day week.
Over £250 / month from me as child maintenance.

Total £2400 / mth approx.

On the other hand:
I work the hours equivalent to 6 days per week.
I have "face to face time" with my kids that is only slightly less than my ex wife. Ergo, I have no social life.
My time with my kids mean I have to find money to buy them things, take them places.

After child maintenance and other commute charges, I have less money than my ex wife every month.

I don''t see any justice in the above at all, but then again, to a Female friendly Government, I was just the inseminator.

  • stepper
  • stepper's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Oct 12 #361026 by stepper
Reply from stepper
Rigid calculations for CSA purposes are perceived as unfair by many dads. Taking both sets of income into account would seem to be a more sensible solution.

Perhaps the new legislation which encourages parents to work together might help in some cases.

I personally feel that the State should not have the right to decide how much one parent should be the other without taking outgoings into consideration as well as income.

  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Oct 12 #361034 by GETTING STRONGER NOW
On the other hand should it matter what she earns? You pay what you are supposed to towards your kids.
I thought CSA was calculated on the number of days spent with each parent and then worked out.
I''m new to this and my husband pays the same amount (£250 per month) to me for our two kids but he spends no time with them at all.
I know that it costs me a lot more than that and I also work full time and get NO benefits and pay everything at the FMH - mortgage and all bills even though it is in joint names.
It confuses the hell out of me and at least I am getting more through the CSA than before because he gave me nothing.

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
15 Oct 12 #361041 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Thats a lot of tax credits for what she is earning yet CB suggests two kids.

Are you sure the figures are right?

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
15 Oct 12 #361044 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Those figures on that monthly income, and for two children would suggest that a) the OP hasn''t written the correct figures or b] one of the children, or the mother is classed as disabled.

  • mumtoboys
  • mumtoboys's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Oct 12 #361078 by mumtoboys
Reply from mumtoboys
or some of the tax credit information refers to payments made specifically for childcare?

  • Millie73
  • Millie73's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Oct 12 #361087 by Millie73
Reply from Millie73
The tax credit figure will include her own working tax credits and child tax credits. It could also include childcare or a disabled premium.

Total incoming for three people of £2400 sounds a lot, but don''t forget, she has to pay rent out of that - a three bedroom property could well be 800/900 pcm.

250 per month maintenance for two children isn''t much at all.

You could put the shoe on the other foot - you have the children, you get the tax credits etc and your wife pay you maintenance.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.