A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Residence status

  • conejodetigre
  • conejodetigre's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
31 Oct 07 #5617 by conejodetigre
Topic started by conejodetigre

I am going through a separation. As an interim arrangement I have borrowed a flat and taken some of belongings. I stay at the FMH every other weekend and on Monday and Thurdsy nights and look after the children from dinner time onwards. I also go round on Wednesday to put them to bed. I also pick the kids up from childcare Monday and take them to their destination on Tuesday. I also take them to school on Friday morning. I pay for my eldest School Fees and my youngest Nursery costs. I am aware that my ex pays her friends cash to take care of the kids when she is working (a full-time job she has just started).

Now - in this interim period we have solicitors and we're going through disclosure. However, I want to make a Child Support payment that is fair and reasonable. A full 20% given the above arrangements seems not.

So my questions are:
1. At this juncture are we officially living apart?
2. Does the law recognise my financial contribution to the childcare/school fees? If not, better get the ex to pay something towards them
3. Do I have to use the 20% rule - or is there another way; like getting a one-one agreement on child costs and writing it up in an agreement or court order

I will be speaking to the solicitor at some point - but would like to have this dialogue first.

Hope you can help

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Oct 07 #5620 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
1) Yes, you are living separately.

2) I'm not too sure what you mean does the law recognise your contributions to childcare/school fees. School fees may be treated separately from CM and the resources of both parents are a factor.

3) There is a CM calculator on the CSA website. There is a deduction allowed based on the number of nights the children stay with you. In your case though you are staying with them so that complicates matters. Do you pay their living costs etc for the time you are with the children?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.