A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Child Maintenance

  • Hammy1228
  • Hammy1228's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Nov 07 #5800 by Hammy1228
Topic started by Hammy1228
Can anyone tell me the law on this please.

My partner has a 21 year old child who is in full time education and is working part time.

How much does he have to pay for child maintenance for this child, and is 52 weeks of the year. Also, how long does he have to pay.

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Nov 07 #5809 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
He doesn't have to pay at all through CSA, but I think the child can make a claim in the courts for support until s/he leaves full time education. It would probably be more sensible to pay voluntarily. Most of us give our children some support through higher education as they just can't manage otherwise.


  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Nov 07 #5823 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
In England & Wales there is no legal obligation to maintain over 18s unless there is a court order in place. When there is a court order the terms of the order will be relevant, although as Sadie says if there is no existing order a 'child' over 18 may be able to apply through the courts for financial support in their own right.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.