A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Advised to self rep residency.

  • Shi Tong
  • Shi Tong's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Mar 12 #318931 by Shi Tong
Topic started by Shi Tong
Hello All,

Thanks, thank you and ta very much for those of you who have helped me so far on Wiki. :)

My solicitor has recently said that getting legal aid for me might take a while, so she suggested that I self rep a case for residence, and sit the first hearing or two on my own. She said that it was pretty tame stuff up until the final hearing.

The reason she advised this is because;

I am main carer with nearly always 5 nights a week care.

My ex threatened to take out a residence order (this would also involve snatching the children from home to prove it).

To give you a little background;

Ex left Aug 2010. She had poor contact due to her bad time keeping, and higher priorities than the kids.

Before the split the care was split, but I was full time work until 5pm every day. I did most of the care upon return from work and she used to lye in weekends until stupid hours like 2pm while I got up at 7 to look after the boys.

Am I right in thinking I have to fill in a C1 form (and possibly a C100)?

Does anyone have any advice about the strengths of my case?

I don''t really want to go down this route, but since my ex is threatening to do the self same thing and steal the kids (and obviously put them through hell too) but she insists on shared care and half the tax credits, even if the children are mainly cared for by me.


  • Rumplestiltsk1n
  • Rumplestiltsk1n's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Mar 12 #318946 by Rumplestiltsk1n
Reply from Rumplestiltsk1n
If i were you, i would probably go down the shared residence route and split the child benefits and tax credits. The first few Directions hearings will involve CAFCASS, proposals and negotiations to try and settle and it is highly likely that you will be instructed by the judge to go to mediation to reach an order by mutual consent and also a Parenting Information Programme

  • Shi Tong
  • Shi Tong's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Mar 12 #318948 by Shi Tong
Reply from Shi Tong
Hello rmatank,

I''ve tried hard with mediation. It didn''t work at all. She simply tried to bully me time and time again into giving her tax credits, regardless of how she behaved or how long she had the children.

I''ve had the police involved a couple of times over her harassment, verbal abuse, mental abuse and physical abuse and not just me, but the children too.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11