A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Is it best for kids if I apply for full residency?

  • Mumof2princesses
  • Mumof2princesses's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 May 12 #328402 by Mumof2princesses
Topic started by Mumof2princesses
Hello, I am currently considering whether to apply for shared or full residence. I have two little girls and am divorcing their father. He still lives at home but spends hardly any time there, out of which about 10 minutes a week is what I would call quality time with the girls. He tells them he loves them and gives them a kiss or perhaps if the older one is lucky, he reads her a book or puts the TV on for her. About once every two months he takes the older one out, never takes the little one. About once a year, he buys them a present and once or twice a year sweets. I have begged him to be with them but he just goes out and never tells us when he would come back or where he is going. He only looks after them when I cannot pick them up from nursery, which is for 3 or 4 hours a week. I get no money for them from him, not even a penny. He spends all his money on himself (designer clothes, perfume, taking his girlfriends out) and when he goes food shopping, only buys food for himself. I understand that my girls need their father but because of how he makes no effort with them, I want to apply for full residency. But is it the right thing to do? He will be very angry and may stop having even that little time with them that he is having now...I want what is best for my children but sometimes it is difficult to make that decision...Thanks for any good advice!

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 May 12 #328432 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
From what you have said there doesn''t seem to be any reason why a court would award residence. There is a no order principle and the courts won''t usually make an order for residence unless there is some reason or other why children can''t "live" with the other parent. The outcome of many residence applications is shared residence.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.