A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Residency...I want my children to stay.

  • hottdogg
  • hottdogg's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
14 May 12 #330441 by hottdogg
Topic started by hottdogg
I wonder if anyone can help me.

I am looking to get residence for my 2 girls (7 and 10) a couple of nights a week. I currently see them 4 times a week but do not have residence. As a very involved Dad I miss the level of emotional contact we had, those times where you do nothing more than normal everyday stuff and are just are together. I would wake up every morning with them and make breakfasts, we would sit every evening on the sofa before bed snuggle up and watch some TV and I would put them to bed most evenings. To not be able to have those times is really hard for me and something I don’t think my Ex wife understands how much miss.

I am currently living in a shared house and as such have a communal lounge, kitchen and bathroom. The private rooms in the property (bedrooms) are not lockable. I am looking to move into more suitable accommodation, though may not be able to afford a flat at the present time. I am looking to get at least a room with on-suite bathroom facilities.

I have a good knowledge of legalities around safeguarding children, and have no intention of putting my girls in any situation where their wellbeing and safety is in any doubt.

My question is, having looked I have not been able to discover if there are there any specific legal requirements relating to housing and residency in relation to having my girls stay with me in shared accommodation.

Does anyone know if there are any specific legal requirements realting to this?

  • Jenna29
  • Jenna29's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 May 12 #330531 by Jenna29
Reply from Jenna29
My ex-husband stayed in the FMH and had two lodgers there. My solicitor informed me that there was nothing I could do about this as legally it is his choice and his responsibility to ensure the child(ren) are safe.

  • hottdogg
  • hottdogg's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 May 12 #330845 by hottdogg
Reply from hottdogg
My Hope is that through mediation, that we are able to duscuss things, but as yet my ex wife hasn''t felt able to attend mediation sessions.

This leaves me in a difficult position of not being able to find a place that both of us are happy with the girls staying in and only having contact and not residence. I dont want to be in a position where I am stuck in accomidation and tied up in contracts that when we do get to discuss this will mean I have to wait even longer to have shared residency.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.