A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Ex-wife moving children to France

  • DrDaddy
  • DrDaddy's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 May 12 #330590 by DrDaddy
Reply from DrDaddy
AbsentFather wrote:

The UK law is a disgrace.

Yes it is, but that doesn''t mean you have to give up- if you oppose then you will at least force her to present a case in court. She will have to explain how the children are better of in France than here, make committments to support contact, etc.

There are lots of factors. If she is only going to be with her boyfriend, then who knows - if they split up then will she still want to go?

At least you''ll know you tried your best for your kids. One day they will ask you about it.

  • pixy
  • pixy's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 May 12 #330598 by pixy
Reply from pixy
Please fight for your children. It doesn''t have to be expensive - there are wikis who can advise how to go about getting a PSO and what kind of evidence you will need to produce.

If you don''t fight one day your children are going to turn round and say ''Why did you abandon us?'' And if she has only known this guy for about 4 months I doubt she''ll have sufficient plans in place to convince a court that she is doing what is best for the children.

  • somuch2know2
  • somuch2know2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 May 12 #330603 by somuch2know2
Reply from somuch2know2
I am fighting for access to kids. I am self-repping, my wife is using the CM I am paying her to pay for a solictor (the irony of it all). Keep fighting...

And write your MP. I wrote mine twice, and I got several others to write theirs. I might even march down Downing Street and burn my Calvins...

Change wont happen unless you voice your opinion- and find constructive ways of doing it.

And yes- Europe is bags ahead of the UK in regards to family law, so maybe the move could grant you more access.

  • Confused67
  • Confused67's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 May 12 #330610 by Confused67
Reply from Confused67
Thank you all for your help and support.

as I said we share PR but she has residence.

She has now blocked my physical access to the children and I found out she is trying to enroll them to a French school.

I want her to stay in the UK until a ciontact order that I will be able to enforce in France is in place. Additionally I want her to come with concrete plan of their living in France.

I am paying her 1000 pounds a month child care and she is unemployed. I need to know what her plans are in France regarding residence, work, schooling etc.

I also want to secure that the money I am paying for my children are used on them and not to support her and her boyfriend in France. She has now plans also to sell the house they live in and she got out of the divorce settlement. I am at wits end

  • Wiser
  • Wiser's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
15 May 12 #330638 by Wiser
Reply from Wiser
France doesn''t have greener grass, infact it is tougher for those with no jobs.

The French systems are very bureaucratic organisations. Anyone moving to France needs to prove they have money to exist. For example;

Child Benefit - nothing for one child, roughly the same as UK for two children, little more for 3plus and children with disabilities. It is not means tested but they will impose penalties if you are not 100% on your financial affairs. You have to declare you are leaving the UK benefit system and register in France, can take up to 6 months but will be back dated.

Unemployment Benefit - Most British people in France start a Entrepreneur business, there is a list of those where you need no french qualifications. Otherwise to qualify for unemployment benefit you have to have a letter from your previous French employment, in French, stating when the contract ended, else you get NOTHING. Especially as British residents haven''t paid into the system, trying to get money out can take years.

Jobs - To get a salaried job in France you need French qualifications (pay for conversion is advisable if a degree) else you start at the bottom. The job centres are generally helpful but your knowledge of the French language needs to be at a certain level to understand the computer system.

Homes - Generally cheaper in rural areas however the standard will be lower. Don''t forget that if you live in the countryside, local ammenities are scarse ie a car is vital.

Schools - State, Catholic or International schools available are excellent. International schools tend to be in cities. Catholic schools are private and you pay, state schools are free and no religion is taught. Children of all ages can adapt but it is harder for those aged 11 and over, but not unachievable. Children will pick up the language alot quicker than adults.

Shops - local shops still close for 2 hour lunch, in towns large supermarkets close 7pm, no 24 hour shopping!

So unless your ex has a French partner that is willing support her, it sounds like an empty threat, one that you need to know all the facts of her intentions.

Also I was led to beleive that one parent cannot take children out of the country of residence for over a month, ie holiday, otherwise it is considered child abduction - maybe someone can clarify this.

Try to not panic and read all the advice you can to avoid having to take extreme and costly actions. The well being of the children is always paramount. Read some previous forums articles by Foresti to get you in the right frame of mind.

Contact organisations such as fathers4justice to get further advice.

  • Wiser
  • Wiser's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
15 May 12 #330677 by Wiser
Reply from Wiser
Since my reply, I have read a post by

DL (moderator)
"What the court expects from Parents"

It''s worth a read.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
15 May 12 #330681 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Just so you know DL is a family law barrister so you can have faith in what the lady wrote.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11