A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Going back to court

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 May 12 #333944 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
The thing is contact orders are for the benefit of children not to punish parents. I can appreciate how frustrating last minute changes are, but many sep arated parents seem to struggle with contact and sometimes being flexible and muddling along works best in the long term.

There is little option other than go to court when contact has broken down altogether but that''s not the case here and there are no guarantee that either parent will get their own way. You could end up possibly with longer periods of contact less frequently. That might be anything from 2-5 nights per fortnight with nothing in-between so putting up with spontaneity could be the lesser of the evils.

How old are your children? I''m a bit concerned about them feeling they can choose becoming a rod for your own back later. What happens if you have a row, which you most certainly will have at some point , and they "choose" to stay with Mum so there can be no reconciliation?

  • wispy11
  • wispy11's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
30 May 12 #333946 by wispy11
Reply from wispy11
Hi Fiona

The children involved are 9 and 12 and Yes we have been through the "you told me off and I don''t want to see you" stage with the oldest , we are over that and things are on a totally better footing . Flexibility does provide the best position for the children but the adults involved need to be Respectful to the other and give information as soon as it is known. My problems have been that I have been told something very last minute only to be told by the children it was planned days before or the reason I was told for the change was not true .The "No Order" is great but if the other parent wishes to prevent access or act awkwardly it has no way of being resolved.
If one party states that they are not prepared to allow something to happen ,even if it is what the children involved want , you can do nothing but put up and shut up .

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.