A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

can my friend take her son to USA

  • frustrated mother
  • frustrated mother's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
16 Mar 18 #500218 by frustrated mother
Topic started by frustrated mother
My longtime friend has recently been divorced from her husband and it did not end amicably.
She has some family in the USA and has been offered a slightly better paid (lesser hours and better pay and a work from home model initially to get settled in) and is considering moving there.

She is so anxious about how to broach it with her ex that she ends up crying about it.

How does she present her case in the court to move abroad?

I don't know how to help her. I would miss her however her ex is so controlling and it would be very good for both her and her son. Current contact terms are 2 weekdays (2 hours) and every other weekend overnight contact

Please advice

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
19 Mar 18 #500280 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
She will need a leave to remove order granting permission to take the child out of the country. She may need to agree a schedule of return trips to the UK for contact visits as well as arrangements for contact via Skype etc.

The court would have to be convinced that this is in the best interests of the child. Reports would have to be produced.
mediation may be helpful.

How old is the child?

Would your friend have the right to live and work in the US?


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11