A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Changing school after house move

  • Slowdivorce
  • Slowdivorce's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Mar 21 #516136 by Slowdivorce
Topic started by Slowdivorce
Just being one step ahead. And asking for advice on what could happen and your experience of this situation. My sons mum have just informed me she's put a offer on for house in the next village down. It's about 10 minute drive from our sons school, it's a Catholic school and I'm pretty certain the catchment area would cover where she's moving too. I can walk to his school in less than 10 minutes she currently live nearly on the door step less than 2 min walk. We have a family based agreement, in writing and signed by both of us(not court ordered or definitely not legally binding) that we share the custody of our son 50/50, and all school decisions and the such like. I drop our 5yo son too school every Monday and alternate Fridays mornings and collect every Friday and alternate Thursdays afternoon, she does the other times, so more drop off and collections for her. There would be a primary school in her new village, I wouldn't want him going to a different school and unselltling him, he seems really happy his school, made some nice friends ect... Could she change his school without my knowledge, how would I know she's doing such a thing? We've been separated for 3 years now.

  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
25 Mar 21 #516221 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
In practice it is possible she could change school without your knowledge as schools would accept a new pupil without seeing both parents.

If you object then you can do various things to block it such as:
- write to both schools letting them know that you are separated and that you have Parental Responsibility.
- then mediate or negotiate with your ex

If you cannot agree through these methods then you can go to court.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11