A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020
Mon/Fri 9am-8pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-8pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Separated for 12 years

  • Susanpdyer
  • Susanpdyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
2 years 9 months ago #498499 by Susanpdyer
Separated for 12 years was created by Susanpdyer
My husband & I separated in March 2006. We sold the family home and split the proceeds amicably. He has been renting since & took a reduced lump sum pension from the police 2 years ago but continues to work.

I purchased a property in 2006 from the proceeds of the sale of the joint property & some savings. I sold that house 18 months ago & purchased my current property. I can retire this year and will draw a small LA pension.

I recently suggested to my husband that we divorce, although neither of us plan to remarry. He has not responded to my suggestion. My question is, if we are not divorced, can my husband make any claim on my house, my savings or my pension?

We made a will around 18 years ago in which my assets were left jointly to our 2 children given my husband was declared bankrupt at that time. My children each have a copy of the will & a copy is stored at my bank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
2 years 9 months ago #498534 by dukey
Replied by dukey on topic Re:Separated for 12 years
Sadly the fact is even if you are divorced he can still make a claim, you need either a consent order ending claims or a judgement from family court which does the same - without a judgement or consent order claims exist, or the right to claim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11