A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020
Mon/Fri 9am-8pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-8pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

cohabitation during separation discussion

  • franchise
  • franchise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
1 year 2 weeks ago #509536 by franchise
I want to separate from my husband and we have started to talk about. He is not keen but I hope he will come to agree.
In the meantime I find it extremely difficult to live in the same flat . we have 3 children , one at uni and 2 still at school and living at home.
I am the man carer as my husband travels for his job so he is often away.
Do I have to wait until we are formally separated/divorced to ask him to move out? Do i have any right to ask him to rent another place throughout these months of negotiating the separation?
What is I took a room myself to be able to go there when he is around ? would this undermine my role as the 'main carer' and therefore my entitlement to maintenance once divorced?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
1 year 1 week ago #509680 by hadenoughnow
Replied by hadenoughnow on topic Re:cohabitation during separation discussion
Welcome to Wikivorce but sorry you find yourself here.
If the property is in joint names you both have an equal right to live there. On divorce you also have an equal housing need - although if there is not sufficient capital to house you both, the children and main carer are the priority at least until the children are old enough to be independent.
Unless he moves out voluntarily, you can only compel him to leave if his behaviour is such that an occupation order can be acquired.
You may want to consider using mediation to help you sort this out. Hopefully he would agree to find alternative accommodation. It is always open to you to move out with the children.
As far as maintenance goes, if you are living apart he would have to pay child maintenance for children under 18 and in full time education. This is based on income and the amount of time the children spend with him. Spousal maintenance depends on need and ability to pay.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11