A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

single mum and father pushing to sell house

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Aug 12 #352509 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
Being bullied is not nice. I think that changing the locks is a good idea and might not cost too much as if they are yale locks all you need is a new barrel not a complete new lock.

Ring a builder and find out - being harrassed by estate agents and father in law is not right.

Also, occupation is 9/10th of the law and I agree that you and the children need somewhere to live.

I just look around these days and begin to feel hopeless generally about the future of mankind.

Think I am just very very down myself this morning and am beginning to think that my 4 year nightmare is going to end in disaster. Peace and justice seems a long way off to me right now.

Sorry for bleeding all over your post.:(

Try and stay stong and not get too stressed difficult I know.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Aug 12 #352527 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Unlike married couples cohabitants don''t have any rights to make claims against each other. The starting point is property law and the property deeds. Unless stated differently it''s assumed joint owners have a 50% interest. Your ex-partner needs your agreement to sell the property or an order for sale from the court.

There is no right under the Children Act 1989 to stay in a property. However, it is possible to ask the court to make a property available for the children to live until they reach maturity. Regard is then given to the financial resources of both parents and there is no certainty that the court will make an order.

Legally the situation for cohabitants is complicated and you really need advice from a family solicitor. The legal fees for court proceedings in these cases aren''t insignificant so it is worth negotiating or mediating if at all possible. If you make an appointment ASAP with a solicitor they can send letters on your behalf pointing out the legal position to your ex-partner and the estate agents.

  • natashawhitelock
  • natashawhitelock's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Aug 12 #352576 by natashawhitelock
Reply from natashawhitelock
thank you

That is string advice.. I have for many weeks now asked to see someone together my ex even used we can try to make it work while the house is being sold .. and now i can see it is just to keep me quite while it is sold and i am then homeless.

today i have just emailed a solicitor with all the facts.. I would be happy to buy him out, I need time to find a job to do that, the buy out, as he wants more than what the house is worth has to be right.

asking the court to make my property available for the children to live until they reach maturity or even 5 years when my son is 10,sounds a great opption.

He is on alot of money clears 3 1/2 k a month and he refuses to even give our son 50p a week pocket money!! he isn''t renting right now but living at his parents which he is happy to do so and has no plans to buy another property if this one gets sold.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.