A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What to do next?

  • Laladenning
  • Laladenning's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Jun 14 #436589 by Laladenning
Topic started by Laladenning
Hi, where to start? My story is a complicated one. I have been with my partner for 7 years and we are about to separate due to his drinking problem and anger issues, the arguments have become unbearable. I live in his house under his name only, he is working abroad and is hardly ever there..I have a property of my own that is being rented out at the moment. We have an 18 month old child.

I am not working as gave up my buisness to have our child as I had to keep travelling backwards and forwards to be with my partner. So I have given up everything because of his work situation.

My question is because we are not married what happens now? Can he ask me to leave the property? I have no finances coming in and don''t know what I am entitled to? And how can I start working and earning enough to live on with a small child to look after if suddenly he stops all payments, and what about maintenance ..as he lives abroad does he have to pay...and how do we work out what a reasonable payment is..

I am at my wits end and don''t know what to do first! Any advice appreciated :unsure:

  • sulkypants
  • sulkypants's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
12 Jun 14 #436599 by sulkypants
Reply from sulkypants
Have you considered giving the person you rent your property to notice to quit and moving back into your property?

Apply for all the benefits you are entitled to and child maintenace which will hopefully lift you out of poverty. I think age three you child will become eligible for part time nursery free for 12/16 hours per week but you could increase those hours if you secure a job or go back to establishing your own business.

There is no rush into doing anything at the moment you could make an appointment at the CAB to see what benefits you would be entitled if you move back into your own property you currently let many have a 2 month clause in them so you can move back in once that period is up.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11