A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

unpaid therapy fees

  • driven40
  • driven40's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Nov 14 #448331 by driven40
Topic started by driven40
I have a court order which states that my stbx has to pay half towards the therapy fees for our son. Unfortunately he isn''t doing this and although the current amount owed is just under £200 I don''t want this to escalate. I have paid all of the fees so far and I have written to him with a copy of the bill requesting his half.

What do I need to do to make sure that this is paid? Shall I write to him again and send it recorded delivery so at least I have evidence that I have contacted him about it? or can I put this in front of the court

Thank you

Just wanted to add that I know it''s not a lot of money but as of next week it will be nearer £400 that he owes I have only sent the first 6 invoices next week I will receive another invoice for 6 sessions.

As agreed I have paid for all of them each week so I just want him to pay me back

I am also due to sign the Consent Order on Friday and now I am worried that if I do I will never get the money back

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Nov 14 #448431 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
The exact wording of an order is important. Sometimes an agreement is recorded or there is an undertaking. If the terms relating to paying for the therapy aren''t under a section headed "order" strictly speaking it isn''t an order. Not adhering to an undertaking would be contempt of court.

Does the order say anything about interim payments for therapy or does the Consent Order mention child maintenance or expenses relating to your son''s condition?

It''s usually good practice to write formally requesting payment to show you you have tried to resolve matters before applying to the court. If that doesn''t help the next step is to follow a first letter with a second stating that if you haven''t received payment within seven days you will apply to court to enforce arrears of payment or start contempt proceedings.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11