A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

How do I get my ex to commit to pay maintenance?

  • twinkletoes10
  • twinkletoes10's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
05 Apr 12 #321874 by twinkletoes10
Topic started by twinkletoes10
I,m having a nightmare trying to get my ex to commit to paying maintenance. We split a year ago due to infidelity on his part and I have stayed in the family home with our 2 kids. He is now living with someone else.

So far he has continued to pay the mortgage but I have said that if he commits to paying me a certain amount per month I will be able to buy him out of the mortgage, but he won''t! My solicitor has said that if we don''t get the finances sorted she wouldn''t advice applying for my absolute!! I''m stuck because he just won''t commit. I don''t have the money to send endless letters from solicitors and raising court orders etc so what do I do? Has anyone been in this situation? And yes I have asked him directly - email - in person etc, but even thought the court has said he''s at fault and should pay cost etc it seems ridiculous that it''s got to be up to me to sort it!! What do we pay these solicitors for. Any help would be appreciated.


  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Apr 12 #322717 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
There is a way of forcing his hand - it''s the issue of a financial application. This commits you to the cost of court proceedings. There really is no other way of dealing with this. A solicitor can solve the problem only if you allow him/her to start the legal proceedings. If you can''t do that, the solicitor is helpless.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11