A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Beneficial Interest on other properties...

  • Tidmouthmilk
  • Tidmouthmilk's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Jun 12 #338687 by Tidmouthmilk
Topic started by Tidmouthmilk
My partner is trying to claim Benefical Interest on the property we have shared together for 20 years, however she owns outright a property that she bought during the period of our relationship which she rents out.

We are NOT MARRIED and the house we share together was paid for (by me) long before she moved in.

I understand that even though she has only contributed to the household bills, that she may be able to claim Beneficial Interest on MY property.

So if she is able to do this on my property, would i be able to make a claim on her rental property?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Jun 12 #338734 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
She could make a claim, of course, but I doubt whether it would succeed. Generally contributions to household expenses will not be enough in themselves to establish a beneficial interest.
She might have a better case if she made contributions towards the mortgage.
As to the last paragraph, the answer, almost certainly, is no.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.