A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Finance issues, wife claiming money

  • nickpatel
  • nickpatel's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
29 Jul 12 #345990 by nickpatel
Topic started by nickpatel
Been married for 6 years, seperated for 1 year. Wife sent Petition under unreasonable behaviour. I want the divorce aswell.

We been both living at my mums house for 6 years, i have been paying for bills etc. Few years ago my wife had given about £10k towards house renovation. Given that she has not made any contribution to bills etc, i am claiming the £10k she gave can be considered as occupational rent. She is now claiming the money from me.

Do you think i will have to pay this back?


  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
29 Jul 12 #346011 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Not easy to say on such sparse information, the occupational rent argument is very weak though, it''s a bit of a none starter.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11