A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

The other woman...

  • Mickey Mouse
  • Mickey Mouse's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Aug 12 #351770 by Mickey Mouse
Topic started by Mickey Mouse
I am the girllfriend of a man who is going through a financial separation from his partner of 16 years. They have 2 children together and he has offered to split all assets 50/50 and give her a bit extra as well as give her a bit extra. She has never worked and is trying to take him for 70% plus the child maintenance and carers'' allowance for herself. They just went to court and in addition to all this her solicitor has now asked for my salary information!!! I am totally flabbergasted. I am quite successful and she knows this but myself and her ex are not married. In addition we both live overseas. Am I obliged to give the judge this info? I find it impossible to believe?


  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Aug 12 #351775 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
No you are not obliged to supply this. The divorce is between them and does not involve you. They are just trying it on.

On the other hand if she has been the children''s full-time carer, then 70% plus child maintenance and some spouse maintenance (I assume that is what you mean by carer''s allowance)isn''t all that unreasonable - assuming they were married. She is quite likely to get 60-65%, other things being equal.

Best wishes,

  • Mickey Mouse
  • Mickey Mouse's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Aug 12 #351777 by Mickey Mouse
Reply from Mickey Mouse
Thanks Sadie. They were never married. He worked the whole time and she looked after the children. They separated 2 years ago. I just don''t want to be dragged in to it...

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
24 Aug 12 #351803 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
If they were not married, the rules re finances are very different. He will have to pay the csa minimum of 20% of net income for 2 children but that is it. As far as the property goes, any split is a matter of property law. It depends whose name is on the deeds. If it is in joint names it will be a 50:50 split unless there is a deed of trust saying otherwise. It is possible, underline the children act, that she could have temporary use of all the equity to house the children until they are 18.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.