A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Forcing a sale of a house

  • kjhowse
  • kjhowse's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Oct 16 #485134 by kjhowse
Reply from kjhowse
Hi Everyone,
I have a property that I would like to sell; unfortunately, my ex-wife is still a joint owner of the property. I have been unable to have her removed as a joint owner due to my financial situation and not being able to afford the £1,000 that the Building Society wanted to have her removed.

The property was awarded to me as part of the divorce settlement and my ex-wife has had no dealings with this property since the divorce was finalised. Incidentally, she was also awarded the former marital home (FMH) which she subsequently abandoned and the Building Society came after me to pay the mortgage on this property until I managed to sell it (at a loss) earlier on this year. She was also awarded another property (an investment property) as part of the divorce and she still possesses that property.

My question is can I apply to the court to order the sale of the house that I own without recourse to her? She is refusing to sign any papers unless I give her £10,000. I doubt that the equity in the property will amount to much more than about £7,000 and I have no intention in giving her a single penny.

  • Grrrrrrrrrr01
  • Grrrrrrrrrr01's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
02 Nov 16 #485339 by Grrrrrrrrrr01
Reply from Grrrrrrrrrr01
Hi there, this is a really old thread, maybe worth starting a fresh post.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11