A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

changing locks

  • lostlucy
  • lostlucy's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Jun 12 #339419 by lostlucy
Topic started by lostlucy
My husband is planning to move out by the end of july. He is in the process of renting somewhere. When he goes can i change the locks, so he cant re-enter when he feels like it and take things from our home?
I dont want any problems in the future if I do this. I have 2 children which are staying with me in our family home. Thanks in advance for your advice.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Jun 12 #339422 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Yes, you can. However :

(a) your husband has a right to remove personal possessions and whatever it has been agreed he should have. Ideally, you should agree what he can take and give him facilities to remove them by appointment. I usually advise that a friend is present to act as a referee !
(b) be aware that your husband will probably have rights to re-enter with the leave of the Court, although if he has accommodation of his own it isn''t likely the Courts would be to keen to allow him to return, but they definitely would allow the removal of personal effects.

  • fedup.com
  • fedup.com's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
30 Aug 12 #352919 by fedup.com
Reply from fedup.com
thats good to know as my stbx still has a key and flatly refuses to give it back, i have threatened to change the locks but wasn''t sure if i could while his name was still on the mortgage i know if i do change the locks there will be fireworks and more abusive txts coming my way from him :(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.