A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • toad
  • toad's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 May 09 #117263 by toad
Topic started by toad
Hi all,

Can someone please advise,

On the prayer (petition) under costs do I cross out or leave the following sentence:

That the respondent may be ordered to pay the costs of this suit.

Is this refering to all my legal fees, what ever the amount or just the petition costs.

Also how will this effect me if i'm legal aided.

Thanks in advance


  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 May 09 #117283 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
Have you reached agreement with your ex about costs? Costs can include both the legal fees and the court fees. It is however only the costs relating to the divorce itself - it does not cover costs related to sorting out financial issues or issues around any children.

If you leave it in,you can always chose at a later date not to pursue it (e.g. when you apply for the Decree Nisi, if your husband/wife has co-operated)but if you cross it out you won't have the option to put it back in.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Jul 09 #133480 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
It is fairly usual to put the claim for costs in an delete it at the special procedure stage. This gives some leverage to the Petitioner to remove the claim on the agreement that the Petition proceed by consent.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11