A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • muchtoomuch
  • muchtoomuch's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Jul 09 #128630 by muchtoomuch
Topic started by muchtoomuch
I Have got to pay 3.7k in court cost .When in court my barrister asked me when will i be able to pay ,i replied i cant i have no money, as it is i owe my parents 10k plus 40k on credit cards paying for all this divorce etc. he said he needed to ask judge for extention of time otherwise it be within 14 days, i still said i wont be able to pay im likely to go bankrupt if this mess continues.

He then turned to judge and asked for 2 months which judge agreed.

My question what is going to happen when the 2 months is up and i have not paid????

  • muchtoomuch
  • muchtoomuch's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Jul 09 #128927 by muchtoomuch
Reply from muchtoomuch
Does anyone know the answer to my question please ?????

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Jul 09 #133473 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Sorry, I'm a new member and have just found this.

Unfortunately you are in a sticky situation. If you were unable to pay in 14 days or even 2 months representation should have been made for you to pay in instalments at a rate that you can afford.

It is possible to vary the terms of the order by consent although the other side is unlikely to agree unless you can provide proof of your meagre finances. If you can provide proof the other side may not enforce the terms of the order which will buy you some time but you have to provide proposed payment terms otherwise it will drift on forever.

You need to address this issue quickly before any action is taken against you in default of payment. Once an application to enforce is made the other side will be seeking more costs from you.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11