A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

help with forgien divorce

  • cazrob
  • cazrob's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 Nov 09 #164233 by cazrob
Topic started by cazrob
can you help please.....

My boyfriend married in england in 2002, he had been seperated for three years when his wife filed for divorce in america (shes american moved back when they seperated)

the divorce has come through, theres no children or asests to devide. she has signed the house over to him in the divorce.

My query is what does he do with it now????

Does he need this to be filed with the british court and if so how do we do this and how costly is it?

Thanks in advance


  • snomy_mcnoodle
  • snomy_mcnoodle's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
22 Nov 09 #164248 by snomy_mcnoodle
Reply from snomy_mcnoodle
me and my wife married in japan, and as such if the divorce would have been done in japan, under international law, it would be recognised by british law.

although under certain circumstances this may not have been the case.

best thing would be for him to contact a lawyer with international expertise, particularly anglo US, and you will be able to determine if anything what needs to be done now.

if the divorce is completely done(decree absolut has beeen granted) in the US, and there are no outstanding financial matters, i believe he is well and truly divorced here and can now get in with his life.

there will be no need to register anything with the UK courts, you just need see a lawyer for an hour or so, and let him verify the paperwork and procedures which have been done.

as for the house, well if its been signed over, thats as good as his, you would probably be advised to get a lawyer to look at the entanglements should there be any, and then you guys can happily get on with the rest of your lives.

good luck!

  • snomy_mcnoodle
  • snomy_mcnoodle's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
22 Nov 09 #164251 by snomy_mcnoodle
Reply from snomy_mcnoodle
it may also be worth getting him to issue a Clean Break agreement in the UK, getting her to confirm that the house and all financial agreements are correct, and then you are covered should she decide to change her mind, or the signing over the house in its current form is not relevant under uk law.

i would contact a divorce solicitor, book an hour and go along with all the paperwork and get him to confirm what the current situation is, dont trust the people on here implicitly especially when it comes to houses, etc.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11