A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What can I expect? Costs hearing coming up....

  • NC35
  • NC35's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Feb 11 #250102 by NC35
Topic started by NC35
Hi All
First post so please be kind.

Good news, divorced (six years ago) and happily remarried, there is a good life at the end of it all. Please don't disspare. (but ex is still and ex from hell. LOL)

So back to the question and help please.
Have a hearing for costs coming up soon. Been asked to prepare a defence. To be filed with the court and with the claimant (the ex).

Agreed to a change in the residence order and the ex is claiming for solicitors fees and court costs.

So, is it possible to offer a defence, what should I say?

I appreciate that courts and judges are a law unto themselves, but what can I expect?

BTW County Court.

Thanking you all in anticipation.


  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Feb 11 #250164 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
It is difficult to offer advice as you have not given much information.

In Children Act proceedings the general rule is that there should be no order for costs.

However, depending upon the course of proceedings a costs order might be necessary. In your case you agreed to a change in residence which is unusual. I assume that your ex made an application to change residence? If so, did you defend this then lose/concede?


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11