A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Court fee EX160 remission, am I Single or Couple?

  • Leaf
  • Leaf's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Mar 11 #255202 by Leaf
Topic started by Leaf
I'm about to apply for a divorce, and being low pay I hope to get my fees waived by submitting the EX160. I now live with my new partner.

In Section 2 they ask me to state whether I am a Single person or Part of a Couple. In their guidance notes they say that "If you are a party involved in proceedings for a divorce, dissolution or annulment, you will be assessed as a single person."

Question 1: Does this statement mean that I will still be assessed as a single person even if I live with my new partner?

Question 2: If I am to be assessed as single, should I tick the "Single" box in the form, or should I tick the "Couple" box and let whoever reads the form make the assessment of me as a Single when they see I am applying for a divorce?

Question 3: If I have to tick the "Couple" box, do I still need to provide my partner's income in Section 4, even though they are going to make the assessment of me as a single, in effect ignoring any information I provide about my partner?

Hope this doesn't sound too complicated :S- if only whoever wrote the guidance had made it a little bit clearer...

Thanks to anyone who cares to answer!

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
04 Mar 11 #255250 by dukey
Reply from dukey
You are part of a couple as you now live with a new partner though this is not to say you will not receive part or full fee remission, much depends on your monthly disposable income, i think ex160b is a table showing a sliding scale of fee remission check it out on HMCS.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11