A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Old: Award of costs (superceded)

  • SilverFir
  • SilverFir's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 May 12 #330339 by SilverFir
Topic started by SilverFir
Hadn''t even thought of an award of costs until Fiona mentioned elsewhere ...

Early days in terms of proceedings in England. I want to Petition for divorce on basis of 2 years separation with consent, and I''m happy to bear all the costs for this if it is undefended.

However, if STBX defends & cross-petitions on the grounds of my adultery, I don''t want to then have to pay his costs of that cross-petition (on the grounds that I will already have forked out £340 for my own petition). Nor do I want to end up liable for the costs of any Solicitor he might decide to retain for the purposes of handling that cross-petition.

How/where do I say this? Is it at the Nisi stage or the Absolute stage? Or do I wait to see if he defends first?

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 May 12 #330395 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
You can say what you like but there is nothing you can do about a cross Petition and there are no guarantees of the outcome of proceedings.

You say that you wish to issue on the grounds of 2 years separation by consent? This infers that your ex will consent to the petition in which case why would he cross-petition?

It is common to seek to claim half of the costs from the respondent on 2 years separation by consent or to not claim any costs at all.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.