A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Court order for costs

  • fedup99
  • fedup99's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Jun 12 #337544 by fedup99
Topic started by fedup99
Hi, I am trying to finalise my divorce.

My ex wife applied for the divorce so is the Petitioner and I am the respondent. She applied for the divorce on grounds of unreasonable behaviour and the initial application did tick the box asking for me to pay the cost of the divorce. She doesnt work so get legal aid.

I did have a solicitor acting for me and had a barrister representing me at the first and last hearing in March 2012, the Decree Nisi hadnt been obtained so was applied for then. Both partied were given further questionnaiires to answer.

Since the hearing, I have run out of funds so have had to stop using a solicitor and act for myself. I have received a letter stating that the court has ordered for me to pay for the costs resulting in me being given a bill for just under £800.

I cant afford to pay this bill proven by the fact I have no legal representaion now.

Can I appeal this order?

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Jun 12 #339732 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
Being unable to afford it is not a ground for appeal. Whether it is actually enforceable is another matter. If you haven''t got any money anywhere, you can''t pay. The costs become payable on the making of Decree Absolute and not before.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.