A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

paying 50% of the court fee on the petition

  • brita44
  • brita44's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Sep 12 #354305 by brita44
Topic started by brita44
I would be gratful for advise
I have received cerificate of entitlement to a decree and as a respondent I have been ordered to pay 50% of the court fee on the Petition.
The Petitioner submit Petition on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour and I submitted Acknowledgement of Service Form with intention not to defend but do not agree with the reasons and I also gave approx 5 - 6 reasons of his unreasonable behaviour (mainly domestic abuse, his arrest etc). I hoped that there will be Directions hearing from both sides however after almost 9 months have received Decree Nisi.
My question is
- do I only need to pay 180 as half of the court fee on the petition?
- I would like to file for Ancillary Relief (on CM and SM) / financial settlement - please can you advise if I will also have to cover half of the costs of his solicitor in these proceedings or the cost are separate (from divorce) - I am worried that if I am respondent and the petitioner proved that my unreasonable behaviour cause the breakdown of marriage the costs will be higher.
Thank you in advance


  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
07 Sep 12 #354356 by dukey
Reply from dukey
If all your asked to pay is £180 count yourself as very lucky indeed, pay it.

The proceedings for AR are different in that you each pay your own legal fee`s.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Sep 12 #354412 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
If the order is for 50% of the court fee to issue the Petition the amount to be paid is £170. If it is 50% of the court fees the amount to be paid is £192.50. Either way it''s not a lot.

Counter allegations mean nothing unless the divorce is defended or a cross petition is issued. It is akin to saying that you are disappointed that you received no compensation from a shop for providing shoddy goods despite not raising a formal complaint.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11