A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Stbx wants to only pay half fees

  • missguided
  • missguided's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
05 Oct 12 #359386 by missguided
Topic started by missguided
I received email from solicitor last week saying Nisi to be in court next tue (9th.
In his acknowledgement (i am petitioner) he said he agrees marriage broken down and doesnt want to defend but only willing to pay half court fees as he has reasons to divorce me for my unreasonable behaviour (i am divorcing for ub).

What happens when the judge sees this? Will he award either half each, or all to him on the day, or will it not be granted until this is resolved?
My solicitor said judge would decide, but his solicitor has emailed saying can we do a telephone appointment (with court)? As court a 5hr drive away (court local to wiki fixed fee solicitors), guessing he doesnt want to pay his solicitor to drive 10 hrs!

Advice always appreciated.
Miss x

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
05 Oct 12 #359388 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Think its fairly usual practice that if the Petitioner requests that the respondent pays the fees then the respondent replies that they wont contest the divorce on the understanding that petitioner will pay either all or half.

The couple of hundred pounds you are talking about probably isn''t worth arguing over. You''ll spend more on solicitors letters discussing it.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11