A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

getting £550 court fee only back

  • v12345
  • v12345's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
23 Oct 17 #497110 by v12345
Topic started by v12345
Sorry if I'm asking a question that's been answered clearly elsewhere, I've had a scroll through the threads but could not find quite my situation which is fairly straight forward!

I applied for divorce on the grounds of respondent's unreasonable behaviour which has not been defended and judge has granted decree for entitlement and I will send for the absolute mid-November. I asked that respondent pay the costs (which are the application fees of £550 that I paid to get the divorce going and we have both not used solicitors as had nothing to divide) and the judge has agreed that respondent is at fault and is to pay the costs.

How will these costs be recovered once absolute goes through - will the court chase the respondent for it like a court fine? Can the respondent get away with not paying it (as is threatening to do) simply by not replying to anything?

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Oct 17 #497113 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
The court won't deal with it unless you make an application. First the costs have to be quantified. This is referred to as assessment. There's a process for that. Once the costs have been certified in a specific sum, you can apply to enforce payment by one of the various methods.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11