A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

consent order submitted but sent back

  • wesley1127
  • wesley1127's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Jul 12 #340512 by wesley1127
Topic started by wesley1127
hi , we came to an agreement and a consent form was drawn up by my ex wifes solicitor who took months to deal with every issue before their client signed it and i hand submitted it to court and had my Decree Absolute pronounced on the same day which i was holding back on. After a month the consent was sent back to my solicitor asking for both solicitors to sign , my solicitor signed it and sent to the other side who now refusing to sign because they feel that " full and frank financial disclosure hasnt been made by me " when we first started negotiating my wife alleged that ive got other accounts and properties which i have not declared ,this is untrue and then we came to an agreement , but now they refusing to sign , what can i do ?
the solicitor has sent back the consent form with a sarcastic letter to ask the judge for further Directions and the letter suggests that they not satisfied and their client not happy but she agreed !!
The only aspect which i didnt do was get property valuations everything else was dealt with by them .

  • Stanlaw
  • Stanlaw's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
02 Jul 12 #340622 by Stanlaw
Reply from Stanlaw
It sounds as if you''ve got a binding agreement which your ex can''t go back on. Your solicitor should have a handle on this as you refer to having one but if not, you could seek one-off advice from a specialist family law solicitor many of whom would be happy to deal with this specific point on a fixed fee basis though he/she would need to see all the correspondence etc.

  • mez
  • mez's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
02 Jul 12 #340647 by mez
Reply from mez
Hi not an expert but it sounds like you submitted the Consent Order but did not wait for it to be approved & rubber stamped by the judge.
It would have then become legally binding on the granting of your Absolute.

Without that seal of approval it counts for zilch legally, no matter what has been verbally agreed.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.